Friday, November 17, 2006

It has hard to ignore the student's own suspicion that because he is of Iranian descent---one hopes, prays even that this is not the case---that this extreme abuse was motivated by "racial profiling." This incident did not occur in a "high security" environment. This is not an international airport, a jail, a border, a government building, a military base or a war zone. It is a college library. I am so upset watching and listening to this, I hardly know what to say. Below I have posted the television news report and the actual amateur video showing 6 min and 53 seconds of the altercation in the library. It is extremely disturbing to watch. The student said "I said I would leave" in such anger referring to the Patriot Act and abuse of power. Other students are screaming to the police not to "tase" him. They continue to use the Taser. This video should be watched by every American. The offending officers should be fired, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and imprisoned. The school and the state authorities responsible for training these officers should be forced to pay enormous conpensatory damages. The individual employees of the university who stood by and allowed this to happen without intervening, including any other campus police, security or library staff, should all be prosecuted and sued for their complicity.
Return to BLOG here.
Read also here and here and here.



No comments: