Wednesday, December 20, 2006


More-Troops-McCain? I-Was-For-Gays-Before-I-Was-Against-Them-Romney? Dinosaurs. It is the convenient truth: Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld utterly betrayed the American people with the reckless pursuit of a war; this administration, supporsted by immoral religious leaders on the right and greedy quid pro quo corporate campaign contributors have turned Iraq into a graveyard for three thousand American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians. Democrats must push for the soonest practicable withdrawal, and build support candidates who opposed the war, rather than propping up those unprincipled candidates who shrunk from the challenge of opposing it, fearing the weak-on-terror label.
In November it was the center of the political spectrum that went to the polls to reject Republicans. Even an anti-gay ballot initiative in Virginia couldn't prop up a conservative Republican Christian over his Democratic challenger for the U.S. Senate seat. Voters showed they could vote against gays in the majority, and still elect a centrist Democrat to replace a conservative Republican incumbent. They turfed out man-on-dog-sex-Santorum! This sea change is an opportunity. Conservative religious voters have other concerns and are willing to reject hypocritical Republican rhetoric. Voters reacted to a disastrous war, high gasoline prices and continued addiction to foreign oil. This has opened a door for Gore and Obama. I say go for it. Take back the country, and stop Hillary!

[Related: I don't advise any Democrats to waste precious time talking about impeachment, but I wholly endorse discussion of it among the citizenry, from famous Hollywood activists to the person on the street. At a time when the Executive Branch has made an unprecedented power grab by lying and using fear as a political tactic, while also using torture and exempting itself from the scrutiny of the judiciary and the legislature, we are justified in having this discussion. We must do better in the next election, and we can start talking about how to achieve that today.]


Return to BLOG here.

No comments: