Sunday, January 21, 2007

I had been contemplating adoption or surrogacy for a number of years and I was very close to moving forward on it, when Keith and Michael disclosed to me that they were about to embark on a gestational surrogacy of their own. It was approximately January 2006, and I set about to meet with all of their contacts: surrogacy co-ordinator, physician, clinics. I learned so much from their research, but most of all, they held my hand through the process, encouraging me and supporting me. About two months later I had found my way to an alternate clinic, located an egg donor, and my wonderful, generous, kind, loving sister had offered to be the gestational carrier. If it had not been for Keith and Michael, I don't know that I would have had the presence of mind to pursue my dream of having children during the year my mother was dying. Their constant support, patience and love made it possible. We both embarked earlier this year on our first round, and we both found ourseves at frustrating dead ends. With no successful pregnancies the first time both "teams" regrouped. In our case, we were scheduled for IVF Round 2 at the beginning of October, just two weeks before that our mother passed away. Despite this tragic event, which left me feeling like I had been stabbed in the heart, we somehow went through with the procedure, with determination to live for the future, just as our mother would have done. (Actually, it was just as she implored me to continue the procedure when I talked about it with her a few weeks before.) About a month later we learned that he second time had been the charm, and then some. We were pregnant with twins. Michael and Keith worked on their process, as well, and were given a January 2007 date for the IVF Round 2. On Friday they had great news from their physician. The egg donor had 11 follicles in one ovary and 10 follicles in the other. That could mean as many as 21 eggs will be harvested this cycle, giving Keith and Michael excellent odds for viable fertilized eggs for transfer but also potentially enogh to freeze for later transfers. Their big day is tomorrow. At almost the exact moment they will be doing their thing, my sister and I will be looking at a scan of the 16-week twins at a clinic just up the street. With a huge grin on my face, I am so excited I can barely sleep. I look forward to tomorrow not only because I will get another glimpse of the twins, but also because Keith and Michael will finally get their chance to jump start the process they have waited so long to see to fruition. I look into a beautiful future in which our children's have play dates together. Congratulations and good luck to my wonderful friends, Keith and Michael.

No comments: