I suppose in lesser hands a German fin-de-siecle show crammed full of hormone-raging teen angst, love, death, philosophy, atheism, sex, sadomasochism, long division, reform school, and magically appearing large, thick, black hand-held microphones could have been a disaster. But even if I didn't tell you that it was chock full of surprises; that aside from two adult actors, the stage was filled at all times with exceptionally talented teenagers (or adolescent-looking actors/musicians); that a wide range of social issues were woven into the script, presented as "a really cool narrative" (said Duncan Sheik); that it somehow escaped unscathed from the curse of the typical banal, tripe aimed at mass audience that fill Broadway theatres; and that I had a sneaking suspicion Camille Paglia was sitting behind me, but it turned out to be a lovely woman producing a transgender version of "Vagina Monologues called Evuvalution: The Lips Are Talking" (or so I believed, though I was distracted during intermission by the torrent of comments appearing on my Treo's tiny version of AboveTheLaw) .... well, then, even if I had never told you any of this, you would still have to see it for the music alone. Oh, and Jonathan Groff, who as Melchior, the protagonist, is simply perfect. And in this weather, I strongly advise you follow our example and have dinner next door at the 7 Square after the show. I cannot explain why there is an elevator in the restaurant that appears to descend to a floor filled with flats of eggs, but I can tell you that the service and food was sublime, as was the company. Nice to see Fred G visiting from Chicago, and to hang out with Mark and John. Thanks again, John, for getting started already on knitting those baby booties! See more pics from 7 Square here. Below, a video that gives a great glimpse of the show and particularly the performance of "The Bitch of Living" which made it to YouTube; however, beware it contains spoilers and is NSFW.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment