When he took us to the country for the day so that we could go riding, I was so grateful. Ivan, it seemed, grew up on a horse, and by comparison I was a complete novice and a slightly skittish one at that. It was, after all only my fourth time on a horse (maybe fifth). But true to character, he was patient (as were Lucy and Rafael) and as they occasionally galloped (or maybe just trotted) they always waited for me to catch up, with Ivan doubling back a few times to check on me. (Thank you!) For my part, horseback riding was definitely a highlight of my trip. The ranch was beautiful; we had a delicious lunch (parilla); and aside from the swarming mosquitos (we came armed with "Off") the bucolic setting inspired my camera to click endlessly. Ok, back to Lucy.Lucy's charm, I suspect, would disarm anyone. She is fiercely intelligent, but knows when to laugh. We had some interesting discussions about the state of the Argentine economy, particularly the current state of Buenos Aires real estate market.
I was fascinated by her. When I discovered her jewelry design, all I wanted were French Cuff shirts so I could wear her cuff links. Lucy's smile and her Bette Davis eyes are not merely facial features, but a reflection of her personality. Her kindness and her love of life come through instantly when she looks at you. After spending less than one day with her, I realized that it was Audrey Hepburn that I was seeing in Lucy... the long slender neck and the high cheekbones. Not Holly Golightly to be sure, but Audrey. (Photos: Lucy and Rafael at Libélula)
No comments:
Post a Comment