Monday, April 30, 2007

The weigh-in: Like all babies, especially those born prematurely, Pearl and Lily lost about 10% of their weight in the first few days after delivery. Both have started to gain that weight back. Tonight, as Day 12 (date of birth counted as the first day) ended Pearl weighed in at above her initial birth weight for the first time at just under 1300 grams! Lily is not far behind. My sister reported to me that she not only had a chance to cuddle Pearl today, but she was able to be present for the all important weigh-in. Her neices are so lucky to have her, and their uncle Rick visiting them, just as I am so fortunate to get daily reports from them and the nursing staff at the NICU. I will be back on Saturday morning, but that seems like ages from now.

A block from the hospital where Lily and Pearl are being cared for stands a memorial to Ontario's fallen firefighters. It is clearly visible to anyone strolling down College Street, as I was this past Sunday morning. It is located on the southern most tip of Queen's Park, in front of the provincial legislature building. This memorial resonates strongly for me because since April 19 I have been a guest in the home of my friend Keith, a Toronto firefighter, and his husband, Michael. Getting to know Keith and, through him, becoming more familiar with the work of first responders has given me a much better appreciation of their diligence and courage. But there was something else that made me stop and take this picture. Perhaps becoming a parent, even after just a few days, does impact one's perspective as is popularly assumed; the first thing I noticed when I passed the memorial was that the statue depicted the rescue of a child.

No comments: