Thursday, May 17, 2007

As Wilde described him, Dorian is "wonderfully handsome, with his finely-curved scarlet lips, his frank blue eyes and his crisp gold hair. . . . All the candour of youth was there, as well as all of youth's passionate purity." This Dorian had no problem convincing the audience that he was vain enough to sell himself for eternal youth. Rid temptation by yielding to it, right? But as we all know, rare is a person who is not storing something in the closet. For this Dorian, vanity and sexuality were a dangerously potent combination. I found the movie uneven and difficult to watch at times, but Gallagher's performance was quite remarkable. Duncan Roy's film was brave and unexpected, with great effort expended to bring an interesting mix of identity issues to the screen. The originality was there, but the message came out a little too long-winded for my (impatient) taste. (I would have walked out during the last cliché scene as soon as I heard Piaf's shaky assurance that she had no regrets, but I was in the center seat with about twenty people on each side.) You can't argue with 90 minutes of David Gallagher on the screen, but Duncan Roy should have given him some better dialogue. The film is doing the festival circuit to mixed reviews, with dialogue, editing and a light plot being among the primary complaints. Despite the film's flaws, this 22-year old television star will no doubt have a bright future.

No comments: